I’ve been recipe developing for the lovely people at Bluebird Tea Co. These vegan teatime treats are nice and zingy, perfect with a cuppa!
For the Shortbread Biscuits
200g Sunflower Spread
100g Unrefined Caster Sugar
300g Plain Flour
1tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Lemon Curd
2 Lemons (zest and juice)
125g Unrefined Caster Sugar
1tbsp Creamed Coconut
1tbsp Sunflower Spread
2tsp Bluebird Tea Co. Lemon Sherbet Tea
For the coconut cream filling
2tbsp Coconut milk (in a tin, chilled overnight)
Make the lemon curd (you can make this a day ahead)
- Infuse two teaspoons of lemon sherbet tea in 25 ml of boiling water for the recommend time, then strain and set aside.
- Zest and juice the lemons. Mix a few tablespoons of the lemon juice with the cornflour and stir until smooth, set aside.
- Put the sugar, strained tea, lemon zest and juice in a saucepan and bring to the boil, then simmer.
- Add the coconut, sunflower spread and cornflour mixture and whisk so that no lumps form. Keep stirring until the lemon curd has thickened (about 10 minutes). Leave to cool and then put in the fridge to set for a few hours or overnight.
Make the biscuits – Oven 150C
- Preheat oven to 150C. Cream the sunflower spread and sugar together. Add the vanilla extract and flour and mix until it forms a ball of dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30mins – 1 hour.
- Once chilled, roll out the biscuit dough onto a floured surface to about ½ cm thick and stamp out twelve biscuits. In six of the biscuits stamp out a small hole in the middle of them.
- Place on a lined baking tray and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Once baked leave to cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
To assemble the Lemon Sherbet Jammy Dodgers
- Whip up two tablespoons of chilled coconut milk until it’s stiff and put into a piping bag.
- Take the biscuit with no whole in it and pipe on six or seven rosettes of coconut cream to form a circle. Put a teaspoon of chilled lemon curd into the middle of the rosettes and then place the biscuit with a whole in it on top. Dust with some icing sugar and enjoy!